Blog Site

Friday, June 1, 2007

To Be Appearing on Local Television

I have just returned from the studio of the Houston PBS station, where I was invited to be part of a panel on a local television program called "The Connection". The subject was about whether a good and meaningful life is possible without a belief in God. I was announced as the President of the Humanists of Houston. The other guests on the program included Nancy Fay, a retired teacher and a Freethinker who is a Director at the Houston Church of Freethought (and a friend), a Methodist Pastor named Thaddeus Easland of the Hope Church, and Rabbi Stuart Federow of Congregation Shaar Hashalom. The host (and the woman pictured here) was Doris Childress.

For those capable of viewing Houston local PBS, the program will air at 8:00pm on July 6, 2006, and again on July 8th, at 5:00pm.

After both airings have shown, I will try to find a way to take the VCR tape of the program they gave me and convert it into a video that will be available on this site and on the HOH website.

The program went well I thought. Everyone was cordial and we hit on some good points. The program was only a half hour and it passed quickly, leaving still many things unsaid. The host of the show has communicated to me that they would like to do more shows on similar subjects in the future, and may like to invite me back to be on those, which I said would be fine.

Rabbi Federow informed me before the show that he hosts a radio program on 950AM KPRC called 'A Show of Faith' and might like to invite me or the others to be a guest sometime. I told him I'd be pleased to.

After the show has aired and I get the video up on this site, I'll also include some additional commentary and responses to things in the program which I didn't have time to cover.

Update June 2, 2007: Originally this post had incorrectly said the airing would be June 1st and 3rd. Unfortunately, the assistant producer gave us the wrong dates originally. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Update August 5, 2007: Online video of this program is now available on this site. Click HERE to see it, along with some additional comments at the bottom of the page, on things we didn't have time to get into. These may take a few moments to load.

2 comments:

  1. Congradulations on the opportunity. I hope you were able to take good advantage of it. It's a pity I won't be able to catch the show, since I haven't lived close enough to Houston to get Channel 8 (or even in TX, for that matter) for years now. I'll have to wait until you can get a video posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erika,
    Although I have it on VCR now, and will have it on DVD soon, I plan to wait until after it airs before posting it on the site, just so I don't undercut the station. But will definitely let ya'll know with a new post when it's up :)

    ReplyDelete